3,346 children in Duluth and 1,038 children in Superior live in poverty. These kids and their families face barriers that include transportation, housing, health care, out-of-school programming, childcare, job training and more. The vision for Opportunity Rising is for a community that embraces diversity and inclusivity, where all children have abundant opportunities, and feel respected, safe and secure. This means…
- Working together as people from all backgrounds, incomes, ethnicities, beliefs and neighborhoods.
- Restoring a stronger sense of community encouraging more individuals, organizations and businesses to embrace all children and families as “our kids” and “our neighbors.”
- Eliminating barriers to participation in community and in/out of school programs.
- Finding ways to connect more children and parents with another caring adult who supports them and genuinely believes in their futures.
- Providing more support for early childhood education, including programs that support parents.
- Matching families experiencing poverty with advocates to assist in navigating support networks.